No Pain, No Gain

 Top 10 Causes of Running Pain | HowStuffWorks

Half a lifetime ago I was an athlete. One cross country season I wore a shirt emblazoned with “No pain, no gain.” I actually have the shirt in my closet- some memories I won’t let go.

Athletes who hope to have any length of career listen to their bodies. They know when pain signifies muscle growth and strength and when it signals overuse and potential injury. They know when to push through the hard times to reach success and when to rest and recover to achieve long-term goals.

Somehow, it seems easier to differentiate between good pain and bad pain in our bodies than in our spirits or hearts. Maybe other people are better at this, but I want to avoid any emotional pain. Just like the physical growth and strength that is gained in hard times, we have opportunities to grow when we’re uncomfortable or hurting or angry or scared. Characteristics like kindness and patience can develop out of these hard times, if we’re willing to push through the pain.

No pain, no gain.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Discovering Happiness

The Pink Slip

Acknowledgement