Bad Day

 Symptoms of a Bad Power Steering Pump - In The Garage with CarParts.com

“Are you trying to teach me something, God?”

This is what was going through my head as I walked to my car in the Meijer lot, with a quart of power steering fluid and a bottled Frappuccino. It was half an hour past the time I’d planned to be at work.

One of my elderly car’s current issues is a leak that requires fresh power steering fluid every few days. I realized the night before that I’d need to get some first thing in the morning before taking my son to school.

Except… we left the house late. I got to the gas station and realized I’d left my wallet at home, so I had to learn to use Apple Pay. I have it down to a science- pop the hood, remove the cap, insert the funnel, pour the fluid, replace the cap, close the hood.

Except… when I pulled out of the parking space, I still had to force the steering wheel, and it’s usually an instant fix. I looked out into the lot and saw a puddle where my car had been. Apparently, I forgot to ensure the funnel was placed correctly. So $3.49 poured directly onto asphalt. *Sigh*

By now I had to get my son to school. Those planks and pull-ups paid off! After dropping him off, I tried the next gas station, but my Apple Pay was declined. So, I drove to the nearest branch of my bank to get some cash. And there were Canadian geese, blocking the entrance to the bank. I was finally able to get my cash, go to Meijer, fill my car correctly, and was only an hour late to work.

Did God have anything to do with my car maintenance, leaving my wallet at home, or mis-placing the funnel? No. I’m not sure about the geese, though… As a reformed perfectionist, I am learning how to handle life’s “surprises” with more patience and grace. Most importantly, I want to be a good example for my son that circumstances don’t determine your attitude. We always have a choice.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Discovering Happiness

The Pink Slip

Acknowledgement