The Coffee Dilemma

It all started with an empty coffee cup. 

My employer graciously provides carafes of coffee for the administrative staff on a daily basis. It is a provision I've become accustomed to, routinely grabbing my empty cup to visit the water cooler, where three carafes sit neatly in a row. 

This morning, the carafes were missing. I knew the cafeteria supervisor was out for the day, and maybe the staff was off too. What to do? I'd been imagining that dark, aromatic liquid since I pulled in the parking lot. 

I could wait. Maybe he was just running late. The coffee might appear eventually.

I could go investigate. I could see if anyone's here today to make coffee. That wouldn't actually help me obtain any, though.

I could sneak into the transportation office. I know the secretary has her own coffee pot. I'm sure she would share if I asked. 

I could text a co-worker who hasn't arrived in the office yet. If my sob story was compelling enough, she might bring me coffee. 

I could walk the half-mile down the road to a restaurant to get some coffee or drive somewhere. 

Or I could make some tea instead. Or do nothing at all. 

The dilemma is, do I ask for help from someone else, or do I figure it out on my own? If I ask for help, I'm being vulnerable, I'm in someone's debt, and I might irritate them. If I don't, I'll have to sacrifice time and money, or I might not reach my goal at all.

It's easier for me to figure it out for myself. I don't want to be dependent on others. Yet, I'm not sure it's the right thing to do. Aren't we called to live in community, to risk being real so we can lift each other up? Don't I feel privileged to have the opportunity to help someone? Is it better to do what is easy or what will help me grow? 

For now, my cup's still empty. Whose cup can you fill today?  


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Discovering Happiness

The Pink Slip

Acknowledgement