Walk Through the Door

I'm at a point in my life (mid-way?) where I don't want my own fears and insecurities to keep me from living my fullest life. So many times I feel an inclination or prompt to connect with someone, to say something (positive) I am thinking, or to try to get to know them better. In the past, I've brushed off those feelings, because reaching out to other people is hard. What if they don't like me or think I'm weird for saying something?

So, lately, I've been trying to act on impulses to connect with people or show kindness. I believe the Holy Spirit is often behind these prompts, which means there is a reason for me to be certain places at certain times, and maybe there are things that only I can do or say. I don't want to miss any of these opportunities.

But sometimes I wonder, is it me, or is it God? When I'm pulling up to the door of my childhood Sunday School teacher's house, who left our church after decades of service... I ask myself, Why am I here? Are you sure, God? Even after the conversation with this person, which was pleasant enough, I wonder, what was the point? Did this visit have a heavenly purpose, or are my whims just that, a passing thought?

Maybe I'll know someday, or maybe I won't. The Bible is full of people God chose to carry out his work. Some obeyed immediately; some stalled like Moses or simply ran away like Jonah. Some were faithful when it made no sense at all, like Abraham. I won't always get it right, but I've decided if I see God walking through a door, I want Him to hold it open for me, so I can go where He is. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Discovering Happiness

The Pink Slip

Acknowledgement