Shadows and Tigers

Photo by Pacific Austin on Unsplash

 










Trying to run in the winter is always a challenge, especially since I prefer to workout in the mornings. The combination of pre-dawn darkness, below-freezing temperatures, and slippery sidewalks make the goal of putting in 10-15 miles a week a difficult task.

This morning, as I dodged an icy patch while running over a bridge, I thought I glanced something moving over my right shoulder. It turned out that a flag was flying in front of one of the tall streetlights, casting a flickering shadow over my running route. It was nothing to be afraid of, it was literally just a shadow.

The Chinese have a word, zhilaohu, that has been translated “paper tiger.” It’s used to refer to something that has the appearance of a threat, but really has no ability to cause harm. Like the flitting shadow that startled me on my run, many fears that keep us from reaching our goals are not real. They have no substance, but they stand in the way of us becoming our best selves.

What paper tigers do you need to stare down, to see they aren’t real? Where do you need to be bold, to act in spite of fear?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Discovering Happiness

The Pink Slip

Acknowledgement