Imperfect on Purpose


Photo by Christopher Paul High on Unsplash







I’m a sucker for a personality test or a strengths inventory, even a “Which Disney princess are you?” quiz. Incidentally, just because I like to whistle while I work does not make me Snow White!

I’ve yet to see a weakness inventory. I would guess few people would want to take a test to tell them all the ways they fall short. Sometimes, even our strengths can be weaknesses when taken to extremes. Realistically, no one can be perfect.

Why is it important to know our weaknesses? I’ve always thought it was to eliminate them or mitigate them somehow. And I do believe that God’s strength is made perfect in weakness- that God uses the weak to shame the strong.  

Today I heard an additional theory I had never considered. On Rick Warren’s podcast this week, he suggests that we are made “imperfect” on purpose, designed to be in community. Without our weaknesses, we wouldn’t have a need to connect with others. Like puzzle pieces, our strengths complement another’s weaknesses; our weaknesses rely on another’s strengths.

Maybe that’s why we’re stronger together.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Discovering Happiness

The Pink Slip

Acknowledgement