Joy in Homesickness

I had a blessed Christmas Day. I was able to spend time with the people who mean the most to me. I received some very nice things from my doting husband, and my kids were great.

I think my parents would have liked us to stay at their house longer, but I was tired and just wanted to be home (which is ironic, since that was my home for 18 years). I longed for the comfort of my own pillow and jammy pants and relative quiet.

I think sometimes that's what heaven is like. We are enjoying ourselves where we are, and we feel at home, but there's a longing for something more comfortable, more basic, more ideal. It's like the song sung by Buddy Greene: I don't belong and I'm going someday, home to my own native land...I've always known, this place ain't home, and I don't belong. 

I find deep joy in knowing that this isn't all there is. As much as I enjoy the pleasures of Earth- the fascinating people, the smell of coffee, the taste of chocolate, the color of the sky when the clouds are like cotton candy, the warmth of the sun on my bare skin, the sound of a baby's laugh... and so much more; I look forward to a time where you don't have to worry about money, or health, or sadness, or anger, or what anyone else thinks. I can just be, soaking in the glory of Jesus Christ, worshiping him, catching up with old friends, enjoying whatever treasures I've managed to store in heaven through my obedience to God.

So, even if today was wonderful, there will be days of hardship to come. That's the nature of living in a fallen world. But I can face it, knowing that eventually, I'll be going Home.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Discovering Happiness

The Pink Slip

A Beautiful Life