Technicolor faith

I auditioned for a show the other day.  I hadn't auditioned for anything for two years.  And I am getting old.  I probably wouldn't have felt as old if I hadn't gone with my college-age friend, who happens to have an amazing voice and can apparently pick up dance steps as if she were, in fact, a dancer.

The show is Joseph and the Amazing Technicolor Dreamcoat.  I am a huge Andrew Lloyd Webber fan, but I didn't know this was his first publically performed musical.  One of the songs captured my attention as my daughter played the rented VHS tape this morning before school:

Go, go, go Joseph you know what they say
Hang on now Joseph you'll make it some day
Sha la la Joseph you're doing fine
You and your dreamcoat ahead of your time

(It was written in the 60s. after all.)

The song highlights why Joseph's story is so amazing. It wasn't just about going rags from riches, or overcoming adversity.  It was his faith.  It was a belief that even if circumstances seemed dark, God had a plan. 

Joseph has a line in the song, Close every Door: 

If my life were important I
Would ask will I live or die
But I know the answers lie
Far from this world...


For I know I shall find
My own peace of mind
For I have been promised
A land of my own


Of course we know a psychedelic musical doesn't necessarily represent the true character of Joseph, but obviously, no matter how many times he got knocked down, he acted with courage and integrity, and became the vessel through which his entire family was saved from famine. 

Unfortunately, my audition shook my faith that I have a destiny on Broadway, but whether I'm in the show or moving scenery, Joseph's lessons of faith, leadership, and tenacity will remain. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Discovering Happiness

The Pink Slip

A Beautiful Life