Bailed Out

It is officially the first day of Spring and I am taking it on as my second New Year. Spring is supposed to be a time of new beginnings, of new growth and turning over new leaves. That is what I’m doing this year.


Three weeks ago tomorrow I was let go from my stressful job as an admissions representative for a nursing home. Today I am ready to write a thank you note to the person who gave me the “pink slip.” After the initial shock, I’ve done some evaluating and praying and really feel that God opened the door to a prison cell, and I am FREE! I now sleep better at night, have put away the anti-depressants, have fewer GI problems… Although I hated that job, I didn’t realize what it was doing to me. It was my security blanket, though, and I never would have let go if someone hadn’t wrenched it from my hands.

So, I am pursuing my dream as a self-employed, work-from-home, freelance writer. I have several projects in the works already, including a grant, three blogs, a press release, a newsletter, and have another proposal waiting for a response. I know it’s going to take some time to get used to the idea of being my own boss. “Procrastination” is my new dirty word- I can’t afford it anymore. Life is too short and my obligations to myself and my family too important.

I read a quote today while visiting one of my clients. It was something like “Do what you like. Like what you do.” That is my new life goal- not for selfish reasons but because I believe God creates us with purpose and passions, and the restlessness I’ve been experiencing over the past year lets me know that I wasn’t doing what I was really called to do. Yet, how could I have known the peace I know now if I hadn’t gone through that year?

So Spring is here. The birds are singing and leaves are beginning to bud. I can’t wait to see what develops!

Comments

  1. I know the feeling. To be able to be set free, would in fact, be wonderful! Just have to get my butt in gear and write that book that has been nagging me for almost two years now......

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Discovering Happiness

A Beautiful Life

The Pink Slip