Feeling Slothy

The large marquee-like sign outside the Methodist church listed the topic for the next sermon, part of the series, “Seven Deadly Sins.”

SLOTH:  NO CARING

I thought sloth was laziness, like the parable of the grasshopper who played all summer instead of gathering food and went hungry in the winter.  I thought the biggest issue with sloth was a mismanagement of resources, such as time and energy and whatever other talents lie dormant.

Apathy would be a good word for not caring.  In fact, apathy is really the opposite of, or lack of, love.  Most people would say that hate is the opposite, but hate still invokes passion.  That’s why it’s believable when Sam and Diane fall madly in love with each other after fighting so ferociously on the TV show, “Cheers.”

Apathy could be perceived as laziness, especially if it comes from depression.  When I’m depressed, it’s like I’ve closed myself off from caring.  Since I don’t care, I don’t make an effort, which could be seen as slothful.

I suppose that sloth would be selfish.  If I care more about my comfort and well-being than doing anything to make the world a better place.  Then, I guess, I don’t care.  Maybe that’s what the preacher will talk about. 

I wonder how sloths feel about being labeled as lazy or uncaring.  They probably don’t care.  My husband says they don’t feel anything.  They’re animals.  Obviously he’s forgotten about the movie Ice Age. 

Since it is a deadly sin, I suppose I should avoid it.  After I procrastinate about the laundry over an episode of Royal Pains.  Come to think of it, I’m surprised procrastination isn’t one of those seven deadly sins.  Maybe God was waiting to put it on another list.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Discovering Happiness

The Pink Slip

A Beautiful Life