Pearls of Wisdom

I am always amazed at how much a book like the Bible that was written millenia ago can have application to today. I was reading in Proverbs 12, and the first verse has the word "stupid" in it. If my kids knew that the word "stupid" was in the Bible, they prbably wouldn't understand why I tell them not to use it. I suppose it's not really a bad word, it's just that it's usually used to describe a sibling, which gets on my nerves. What's even more ironic is the context: "...he who hates correction is stupid." I'm not sure I'll convince them to love discipline, but it helps to have the Bible back you up.

In just one chapter, I found so many pearls that speak to me today. "A wife of noble character is her husband's crown." To me that says that marriage matters, and what you do and say affects your spouse and family. It's not all about me.

"...Men with warped minds are despised." Sometimes I get sick of hearing comedy on TV that is all sexual innuendo or bathroom humor. At least God feels the same way.

"A righteous man cares for the needs of his animal." I never realized God cared for animals so much. Of course I hate to see an animal hurt or mistreated as much as anyone else, but I didn't know that the Bible deemed animal ownership in such high esteem. Kudos to the pet lovers of the world!

"A fool shows his annoyance at once, but a prudent man overlooks an insult." I guess I'm a bit of a fool. How do you not respond when someone says something offensive or insulting? On the other hand, I know how foolish I must have appeared when I've made a big deal out of nothing. Like I tell my kids, if someone calls you stupid, and you don't think you are, ignore it. Consider the source.

"The way of a fool seems right to him. but a wise man listens to advice." I've been there before. I know myself best, right? I know what is the best path for me. In hindsight, it's better to listen to the advice of wise people than have to face "I told you so."

"An anxious heart weighs a man down, but a kind word cheers him up." I can see this one two ways. First, don't worry so much, it'll bring you down. Second, a simple word spoken at the right time can really lift someone's spirits.

Hope that little bit of wisdom brightens your day!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Discovering Happiness

The Pink Slip

A Beautiful Life