On With the Show!

Sometimes it feels like nothing you do or say makes a difference in your world.  Sometimes it feels like no one knows you exist.  Sometimes it feels like you’ve accomplished nothing in your life.  Sometimes it feels like you’re just a cog in a giant machine.  You ask yourself, “why am I here?”

I heard a song on the radio today ”Something to Say” by Matthew West, that seemed to answer that question.

You’ve got something to say
If you’re living, if you’re breathing
You’ve got something to say
You know if you’re heart is beating
You’ve got something to say
And no one can say it like you do
God is love and love speaks through
You got it, you got it
You’ve got something to say

Do you believe that we live in a world where every human being has a designated role, a part to play on the grand stage of life? 

If you’ve ever been in a dramatic production, you know that every member of the cast is vital to the ongoing action of the play.  I didn’t always think so.  I had a minor role in the opening scene of a three hour play at the community theater.  About a week before opening night I decided I really wanted to attend my daughter’s dance recital, which conflicted with the Sunday matinee.  I asked the assistant director if she thought she could fill in for me. 

Apparently it didn’t go well.  She missed some cues, said some lines in the wrong order, and generally threw everyone off.  I felt bad, like I had let everyone down.  Fortunately, part of participating in a production means you go with the flow, and no one (generally) holds a grudge.  I just didn’t realize how important such a small part could be for setting the stage for the entire show.

There’s a limit to the metaphor however.  You may have heard, “There are no small roles, only small actors.”  More than that, however, I think everyone has a starring role in their own lives, and they decide the size of the role they play in others’ lives. 

As the song suggests, only you can play your part, say your “lines,” so to speak.  You have been given a mind and a heart that are uniquely you, giving you unique perceptions of the world.  You have a responsibility to play your part, to take the leading role in your life and realize that people are counting on you to participate in their lives. 

Listen, there’s the director now:  “Places!” 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Discovering Happiness

A Beautiful Life

The Pink Slip