Losing It

There’s a picture of a pizza on facebook. It’s caption asks me if I want to “become a fan.”

Now, all I can do is imagine a piping hot pizza, with spicy-sweet tomato sauce, thick slices of pepperoni or ham, flavorful veggies, and loads of gooey cheese all on a thick, chewy crust.

Two slices would be be equal to about half my daily calorie needs, and would include all my daily fat allowance. I’d still eat it if you put it in front of me, even though it’s past 9:00 at night, and I just had dinner three hours ago.

I read a lot about health and fitness. Maintaining good physical health makes it possible to do all the things you want to do in life. In my head, I know this. I have a little trouble practicing what I preach.

I was an athlete in high school. Now I spend a lot of time at a desk. Two kids and 15 years later, I have a little extra baggage. I’d like to get rid of it, and theoretically I know how to do that, but my execution is weak.

I’ve never been able to go on a stringent diet. The celery and cabbage soup diet was never for me. From what I’ve read, if you eat less calories than you burn, you will lose weight. A high protein, low fat, low calorie, high fiber diet is best, spread out over four or five mini-meals throughout the day.

In order to burn those calories faster than they are consumed, an exercise program consisting of interval cardio training burns the most fat. Weight training builds the most muscle and also keeps the metabolism going.

Even armed with all this knowledge, I can hardly resist the freshly baked cranberry yogurt cookies on my stovetop, or the bag of yogurt crème-filled Hershey’s kisses on my night stand. When I go to a restaurant, it pains me to pay as much for a large salad as it does for a nice juicy burger or pasta entree. So, I usually order the latter.

I love to exercise. Once I can schedule a time, and make myself go to a gym or other venue, I usually enjoy it. Somehow, that’s not enough motivation to get out of bed prior to getting ready for work, leave work early, or drag my kids along with me.

There was a sign on the Y bulletin board, that said, “Discipline is Knowing What You Want.” Apparently I’m not sure what I want yet. But I’ve started taking baby steps. I’m trying to eat less, and only when I’m really hungry, not just bored, upset, or when food is available. I’m trying to eat slowly, and really enjoy the smells, flavors, and textures. I’ve exercised in some way everyday for the last week, including three sessions in the weight room.

It may be months before there’s any noticeable progress. At this point, at least I’m taking a step in the right direction. Now, why are these Sno-Caps looking at me?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Discovering Happiness

A Beautiful Life

The Pink Slip