Fountain of Youth

After our Truth Project study group last night, Gary said to me, “I wish I could figure out a way to take all that energy your son has and bottle it up.”

My son is six years old and hops out of bed in the morning and doesn’t stop moving until we strong arm him into bed at night. His blessed kindergarten teacher says he is “kinesthetic.” Even at church he bounds into the fellowship hall, ripping off his coat, making his way to the nearest plaything. I found him after choir practice Sunday morning making hand shadows on the wall. He bounces from Sunday School somewhat like Tigger, bounding after one of his seven cousins.

They say youth is wasted on the young, and I always thought that was lame. I guess I was young then. I guess that’s why The Curious Case of Benjamin Button is such an interesting movie. Imagine having the energy of youth and the experience of age.

I think we can tap into the Fountain of Youth by taking some time to enjoy the things we enjoyed as kids. We have to take time to play, to laugh, to dance, to sing at the top of our lungs. We have to take a moment to just wonder at the magnificence of Creation, from our amazing bodies to the stars that stretch across the night sky.

Who says you can’t go back?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Discovering Happiness

A Beautiful Life

The Pink Slip