Demystifying Yoga

I was there. Yoga was some freaky, Eastern religion-type activity reserved for ninjas and hippies. It was the picture of a woman dressed in white, sitting crosslegged with her fingers forming perfect circles, a serene smile on her face while she says, “Ohmmmmmmmmm.”

I’ve been a member of the Y for several years, but have never stepped foot in a yoga class. I had no desire to. If I wanted to lose weight, I was going to stick to the cardio machines and the weight room. Yoga wasn’t real exercise. Besides, I have the flexibility of a 2x4. The real yoga people would probably laugh at my weak attempts. And I refuse to wear a leotard.

I did buy a DVD on ebay- Yoga Booty Ballet. Those darn infomercials! I don’t think I got through the whole session before I got fed up with “opening your heart to the sun” and other new-agey type talk. Yoga was definitely not for me.

Then I met Ann. Ann has been a family friend for many years, but just started caring for my children a few years ago. Ann is not a hippie, but she’s an artist, and she eats a lot of organic and vegetarian food, and she’s a yoga instructor. Ann would never push anything on anybody, but when another mom, Lisa, and I started talking about how stress was affecting our lives, she suggested yoga. I was interested, but unconvinced.

Months later, when Ann’s next series of classes was due to start, I had conveniently forgotten to sign up. I was so busy that I didn’t want to take one more night out a week for something like yoga. I told Lisa I wasn’t going. She called me 13 minutes before the start of the first class and told me I should come because there was a no-show. I went, reluctant and full of misgivings.

It was a blast. I’m still as flexible as a 2x4, but so are Maribel and Lisa, my two friends. We laugh at each other, in a good-natured way. Some of the poses are really hard, but I’ve never backed down from a challenge. I’m getting more flexible, and really working my muscles, especially my abs. After each workout, I feel like a weight has been lifted. I’ve had more energy and less stress.

So, never say never. Always be willing to try something new. Even yoga!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Discovering Happiness

The Pink Slip

A Beautiful Life