Do Over

I love a fresh start.  I love the start of a new day, with an expanse of time stretched before me, a list of “To Do”s in hand that may or not get done.  I love the start of a new week, full of promises that I will begin a new habit, such as exercise, again.  I love it when the calendar flips and there’s a new month, with it’s annual celebrations and traditions.  I love a new year, a starting point for destinations unknown, a renewal of vows to accomplish new things.

Even though I can’t travel backwards in time, there’s a sense of “mulligan” when a new period of time begins.  What has been done is done and can’t be changed.  What is to come, I have some control over.  Whatever I didn’t like about the way I handled a situation or managed my time yesterday or last week, I can do better this time around.  I can learn from my experience and make today better than yesterday.

Of course, it’s probably one way I tend to procrastinate, also.  I’ll plan to start to work on that project or that habit when I can have a fresh start.  The problem is that there’s always a new time to come that seems more promising than the present, and as the saying goes, “Tomorrow never comes.”

A New Year is approaching, however, and I have big hopes for it.  Instead of making a long list of resolutions, however, I think I’ll buckle down and make some actual goals.  I don’t mean airy, vague goals like “lose some weight” or “read more.”  I mean, looking where I’d like to be ten years down the road and figuring out what I can do today (not tomorrow) to get there.

Maybe I’ll start working on those goals next week.  This week’s way too full!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Discovering Happiness

The Pink Slip

A Beautiful Life