To Dream or To Be

According to dictionary.com, a writer is 1) a person engaged in writing books, articles, stories, etc., esp. as an occupation or profession; an author or journalist; 2) a clerk, scribe, or the like; 3)
a person who commits his or her thoughts, ideas, etc., to writing: an expert letter writer; 4) (in a piece of writing) the author (used as a circumlocution for “I,” “me,” “my,” etc.): The writer wishes to state….; 5) a person who writes or is able to write: a writer in script.

My goal is to be a writer as a defined in number 1.  It’s really hard to imagine getting to that point when it feels like a thousand things are competing for my time and my energy.  Every success guru will tell you that the only way to reach your goals is being single-minded and persevering to the end.

My dilemma is that I am honestly more concerned about being a good wife, mother (sister, daughter, friend, youth leader, community member, etc.) and following God’s will than being a writer.  I believe I can love others and write, I just can’t write while I’m doing laundry, earning a living, and helping my kids figure out what to wear for zoo day. 

I do appreciate that lately many people have taken my ambition seriously, and given me some great subjects for putting on paper (or computer screen, as it were). 

I’m an impatient person, and as a good friend of mine likes to say, “If it’s meant to be, it will happen.”  It may not be in my timetable, but if I trust that God has designed me for a purpose, I have to trust He’ll get me where He wants me. 

So, for now, I’m a definition number 3.  I may be so for a long time.  As long as you are a reader (defined as a person who reads) I will continue to write.  As Marie Curie said, “Life is not easy for any of us.  But what of that?  We must have perseverance and above all confidence is ourselves.  We must believe that we are gifted for something, and that this thing, at whatever cost, must be attained.”

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Discovering Happiness

A Beautiful Life

The Pink Slip